I drew the letters over and over with slight variations and different types of pens or ink nibs, and decided on this
Whilst making my roughs I just used the font ‘Baskerville’ as a template for type placement. Once I was ready to choose the final font, I reviewed a couple of websites which recommended certain typefaces for book design – this one by InDesignSkills was particularly helpful as it gave varied examples, including Penguin texts! I used both a selection of suggestions and my own favourites typed out with each title, as well as a bold version of the font, at 30pt to print so I could gather a good idea of what each will look like.
After much deliberation, I chose to continue with the font Gill Sans – Penguin’s classic typeface – for blurbs and keep perfecting my hand-rendered typography for the titles.